Children are a gift from God, and we believe in investing in their care and discipleship. Our goal is for children at Lakewood to move towards maturity in body and spirit while learning to surpass us in faith, knowledge, righteousness, fruitfulness, evangelistic zeal, and commitment to world evangelization. We believe in partnering with parents to nurture the next generation to Glorify God and Make His Name Known.
You can use the buttons below to jump to that section of the page.
Nursery and Preschool – Setting the Foundations of Love for God
In the Nursery and Preschool, teachers lead the children ages birth–5 years in age-appropriate activities, including play time, stories from God’s Word, songs, crafts, and memory verses.
Nursery is available during…
- Sunday Morning services (beginning at 9:30am)
- Wednesday evening services (beginning at 6pm)
- Some Special events (as noted in the event promotion)
Elementary – Moving toward Maturity in life and in Christ
As children develop, we want to make sure that we are continuing to build some basic skills, understanding and habits into their budding spiritual walk with Christ. We want each child to come to embrace Christ in faith as God calls them through the gospel. Below we have outlined a basic scope for the types of skills and principles that we hope to instill into the church as they progress through the Children’s Ministry at Lakewood
- Learn the books of the Bible and their order
- Learn how to locate Bible passages for study
- Memorize Bible passages
Elements of the Faith
- Understand the basic contours of the Gospel (God, Man, Christ, Response) leading to personal belief and missional witness
- Be able to talk through the basic story of the Bible (Creation, Fall, Redemption, Re-Creation) integrating various “Bible stories” within this framework
- See and engage in the spiritual disciplines (Bible reading, Prayer, giving, evangelism, service, etc.)
- Articulate the mission and vision of Lakewood as a local expression of God’s desire for His church (Glorify God and Make His Name Known)
Engage with God and Others
- Learn the importance of worship, witness, and service
- Engage in worship, missions, and service
- Develop meaningful, Christ-centered relationships with mature believers and peers
Our children’s ministry meets two times during the week. Children will enjoy our Olympians program on Wednesday evenings at 6pm, and Sunday School at 9:30am on Sunday mornings.
In addition to our Wednesday evening and Sunday morning programs, we also provide Children’s Church from 1st-5th grade during the sermon portion of our corporate worship time. The children join us during the first half of the service to be able to engage in worship, prayer, and fellowship with the larger group. They then exit to an age-targeted activity as they learn from God’s Word and fellowship with others. The Pastor will dismiss the elementary children during the main service. Parents can pick up their children on the bottom level of our building after the service has concluded. Of course, you are certainly welcome to keep your children with you during the entirety of the service if you wish.
Each Summer we offer a multi-night Vacation Bible School. This event is designed to give our kids a fun, exciting, and immersive look into God’s love, the work of Christ on the Cross, and what that means for each of us and the world around us. Children will have the chance to gather with friends and neighbors to learn truths from the Bible, make interesting crafts, burn off some energy at the recreation station, find ways to serve others, and generally have a ton of fun.
VBS times and dates can be found here.
We want our kids to know that God created us all to enjoy Him and this world that He has created as we develop a relationship with Him and those around us who love Him too. So, each month we have a special event that is designed for fun, fellowship, and learning. Check out the list of things we have done and look for new things popping up on occasion too!
- Movie Night
- Easter Egg Hunt
- Trunk or Treat